Our world faces many challenges, crises and forces of division — such as poverty, violence, and human rights abuses — among many others — that undermine peace, security, development and social harmony among the world's peoples.
To confront those crises and challenges, their root causes must be addressed by promoting and defending a shared spirit of human solidarity that takes many forms — the simplest of which is friendship.
Through friendship — by accumulating bonds of camaraderie and developing strong ties of trust — we can contribute to the fundamental shifts that are urgently needed to achieve lasting stability, weave a safety net that will protect us all, and generate passion for a better world where all are united for the greater good.
The above writing is from a blog on un.org.
The sentiment talks about the background behind International Day of Friendship. So here are some ideas to celebrate such an important day.
- Show others solidarity by accepting people that are different from you.
- Do a pay it forward to someone who is marginalized.
- Spend the day volunteering for an organization that supports solidarity.
- Show appreciation for your own friends and their unique backgrounds
- Round up your friends and as a group do something kind for others.
Those are only a few ideas. Please comment with additional ideas.