As we move into the winter months, the problem of dampness will become even more of a threat to homes across the country. Statistics released by the World Health Organization (WHO) reveal that dampness is estimated to be present in 20-50% of homes in the US and that as many as 21% of American asthma cases could be associated with dampness and mold. Taking into account how serious of a problem damp is, this article offers advice on how to catch damp early on and get rid of it so that your home is dry, fresh, and free of mold.
What causes dampness in your home?
Damp occurs on walls and fabrics when condensation in the air becomes too great and cannot escape due to a lack of ventilation. As a result, the inside of the home becomes dampened by this condensation, which then turns into mold and smells musty. Condensation is most likely to occur from the steam produced during cooking or showering, when you dry clothes on the radiators, and when you turn on your central heating during winter. All of these things can be done, but dampness will occur if you don’t open a window or use an extractor for ventilation.
Often, people don’t even notice that damp is affecting their home until they can see the mold and source the unpleasant scent. By then, it is too late to try and prevent dampness. The only solution is to purge it from the home, and then increase ventilation afterwards to stop further damp from occurring. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) advises that if mold is a problem in your home, have experts remove the mold promptly and fix any leaks or sources of dampness. This should stop it from becoming a reoccurring issue.
Keep your home dry
You should focus your efforts to get rid of dampness in the areas where it is most common: bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms. Catching condensation early will stop it from settling long enough to cause damp problems and bad smells. If you notice any condensation, open windows immediately to air it out, and be sure to wipe down windows and sills as well. Wash any fabrics that feel damp to prevent the growth of mold. The EPA also advises that mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present, so catching moisture before it settles is the best way to protect your health and your home.
Getting rid of mold caused by damp
When damp has become mold, you’ll need to use mold removal solutions to completely get rid of it. Typically, the best way to get rid of dark green or black spots on surfaces is to use sprays that contain bleach. They can also be used on fabrics that have been dampened, which then must be laundered. Another way to get rid of damp fast is to buy a dehumidifier, preferably one that can extract multiple liters of moisture from the air per day. This will do lots of work to stop damp before it becomes mold. You should always sanitize anything that you think may have come into contact with mold caused by damp because it can spread further.
It is most important to remember that dampness in the home can be a serious health hazard, as well as a cause of structural damage. By routinely checking for damp in your house and working to eradicate excessive moisture, you'll be able to catch it before it poses a more serious threat.